So as my last post touched on, I was super excited to be attending my very first ProBlogger Training Event last week and I wasn’t disappointed let me tell you, even despite some weird things that happened to me outside the event.
1. Nerves – As I waited for my Virgin Australia flight at the airport, I decided I needed a bevvie to get me through the plane flight jitters and decided on a good old Shandy (why this drink always reminds me of my Mum I’ll never know). Not only was I a little red cheeked about asking for a Shandy in a bar packed with ‘suits’, I then subconsciously attempted to pay the bar lady with a bandaid that fell out of my wallet. If this wasn’t bad enough I sat down to share a table and when I pulled my phone out of my bag, a sanitary pad came flying out landing on my lap. OMG, really? Time to scull the shandy and move along I think.
2. Transport – Can I just say that, for me, QLD transport have got it right. I chose to go by public transport from the airport to my hotel and it was cheap and seamless. After purchasing a new GoCard from the airport (which included paying a $10 deposit), my bus was waiting for me to leave. It dropped me at the new tram stop 20minutes later for me to make my way into Surfers Paradise from the main highway. The only negative feedback I can give is that it was difficult to pinpoint exactly where each tram stop was located in comparison to my hotel. Just $5.53 on the bus and about $3.53 on the tram and I was at the hotel for under $10. Yeah the shuttle could’ve drop me to my door for $20, but honestly the tram and bus took about the same amount of time – so it was worth it.
3. ProBlogger Day 1 – During the first day at ProBlogger I learnt the process to achieving Raving Fans by Pat Flynn and how the Backstreet Boys can really influence this, that Rand Fishkin is an SEO guru with a really mad moustache, and that his wife Geraldine DeRuiter is a gorgeous soul who loves the Fug Girls, but doesn’t overly enjoy travelling, which for a Travel Blogger, is kind of random. Better still she taught me that I need to have a love affair with my readers – in the most platonic way of course.
This is Freddie Bros (from www.womenlovetech.com ) and I at Nautical night.
4. Nautical Night – The nautical themed networking night was like I’d just stepped off Pirates of the Caribbean film set or even Gilligans Island. Pirates, women with moustaches, dresses with netting just covering a few butts (or were they meant to be a shirts), plenty of naval caps and an Olympus Photo Booth gave us the opportunity to capture some great moments.
5. ProBlogger Day 2 – The second day at ProBlogger was all about focus. I learnt that if I want to be focused like Arnold Schwarzenegger I need to eat a stack of meat, eggs and more meat and that Matthew Michalewicz has to be related to him somehow – I’ve just got to figure out how. I learnt from Stacey (www.theveggiemama.com) that it’s really not worth it to bag out anyone on social media and that I’m responsible for all comments by others on my social media sites, so behave yourselves! I learnt also that I’ll definitely attend another presentation by Fat Mum Slim, because she plays games like musical chairs and gives out big prizes in gift wrapped boxes. But she also taught me the art of being social on social media. I also learnt how to focus from all angles thanks to Chris Ducker and the magical expertise of Vinh Giang. Check this out!
6. Social Media Talk – One of the biggest things I learnt at ProBlogger may not seem like anything to some people, but for me was a big breakthrough…yes I learnt the power of the hashtag ‘#’! Why did I just not get it for so long. It came in very handy when entering the competitions from the sponsors – #Olympuslovesbloggers , #thisisqueensland and #velocityxpb. I also learnt that I actually can use Instagram and how awesome the photo editing is there.
Most importantly, ProBlogger has helped me cull a lot of the haziness surrounding my vision for Bargain Chick and the information crowding my mind has been regurgitated from my head to the notebook. I’ll be introducing pretty cool things not only around saving money, but how to focus on changing your spending habits overall and having that extra money to use on achieving something on your Bucket List.
Yep, definitely, Problogger – I WILL be back!