If your new year has you considering renovation, relocation or property investment, why not consider Adelaide. With stunning beaches, warm waters and thriving music festivals, Adelaide also boasts some great restaurants and bars. The most attractive benefit, though, is the affordable living and property prices with living costs averaging a third less than other cities. Sound good? Love your new life in Adelaide with these 4 ways to save on your Adelaide home by transforming your house into a real home without breaking the bank.
Renovate your kitchen for less
You’ll find a lot of locals shop locally in Adelaide. You may spend up to a third more by shopping outside of the city. For kitchen renovations, Adelaide has great local services. Renovating the kitchen is a great way to place your mark on your home. It’s also a great way to breathe life into a tired, old residence as well increase the value of your property. Jim’s Maintenance can help you decided whether to simply cap the benchtop and paint the cupboard doors or go the whole hog with a completely new fitout.
Spruce up your bathroom
It’s a known fact that kitchens and bathrooms are the most expensive areas of the house to repair or replace. A tired or dysfunctional bathroom or kitchen is great ammunition to use to negotiate a lower price when buying the home. For some great tips about how to remodel your bathroom or kitchen on a budget, check out this great guide from Moneycrashers.com. It has some great ideas for pinching pennies in bathroom renovations such as:
- Limit expensive tiling. Check out auctions and sales for clearance tiles at great prices
- Be aware of the fixtures your want to install. They may look good or may be cheap, but will they conserve water in the long run.
- Know when to compromise. If you need to replace a bathtub or vanity can you pick up a great replacement second-hand through Freecycle, auctions, clearance sales for example
Check Your Insulation
Energy loss through insufficient insulation is a very common way to waste money in your home. Ceiling and wall insulation regulates internal temperature by trapping the heat or cool within your home. Stop using your electrical or gas heating and cooling appliances so frequently and simply update your insulation. In the long term, you will see a significant decrease on your energy bill.
Become Environmentally Aware
How often have you heard of people going “off the grid” or the word “sustainability”. It’s more popular than you may think. You will become more waste conscious and more aware of ways to help the environment you’re in. The more sustainable a property, sometimes the more value it can hold as buyers see a reduction in operational costs to run the home. Here are some simple ways to make your home greener, saving your hip pocket in the proess.you can find a guide that covers some of the ways to go green on a budget, including:
- Use energy efficient lightbulbs. It’s a no brainer thesedays. Even 95% of downlights are energy efficient.
- Fixing drafts. Buy a draft barrier to install on the bottom of your doors or use pelmets around the curtain rails to prevent unnecessary drafts in winter.
- Shower timers. Yep those daggy little egg timers stuck to your shower screen can really save you money by making you take shorter showers
For more general energy saving tips, check out these other ways of saving energy and water.
What are your tips for ways to save on your Adelaide home?